After the Straccioni riots in 1532, the General Council decided to found a guard to guarantee the magistrate's safety in the Palazzo. The first Palazzo's guard was composed of the earldome's people, italians from non-adjacent countries, young nobles and gunmen banned from their cities for political or of honour reasons. In 1653 the General Council dissolved the unit because of some bloodsheds and it reformed it with swiss catholic soldiers and officials from the Lucerna canton. The Swiss Guard was composed of seventy units characterized by a blue uniform. It was located in the southern side of the courtyard and it loyally served the Republic up to the 30th of April in 1806, when Elisa Baciocchi declared its abolishment.